Argostoli is the capital and main port of the island. It is also the largest of Kefalonia villages. Argostoli has been the capital of Kefalonia since 1757. The town is located in the centre of the southern part of the island at the far end of the bay of the same name, surrounded by many mountains and forests. As almost all the towns and villages of the island, it was destroyed by the huge earthquake of 1953 which shook the Ionians islands. The earthquake caused the loss of many of the town’s Venetian buildings. The town was rebuilt with the help of the Greek government but unlike the Capital of Zakynthos which made efforts to keep the traditional architectural style. To reach the town, the visitor must pass over a stone bridge of 650 metres long, the “Drapano» bridge. In the bridge’s middle way, there is a small pyramid called the “Colona», a monument dedicated to the man who built the bridge, Charles de Bosset. Argostoli is a modern, cosmopolitan and busy town. The town has made efforts to produce interesting features. Argostoli has an attractive coastal road promenade lined with palm trees and paved with sea pebbles. Small caiques(fishing boat) sell every morning their daily catch. The coast road leads to the small ferry quay which proposes depart to the town of Lixouri every half an hour. The town also has a nice and large square, the Platia Valianou, surrounded by many restaurants, patisseries, café and bars. The square gets quickly crowded in the summer evenings and it is interesting to watch the Kefalonian way of life. The commercial street of the town is Lithostroro (Cobbled Road). It is a pedestrian road lined by many shops. The visitor, there, can also admire the church of Saint Spyridon and the clock tower of Campana square. The town of Argostoli also houses the Archaeological Museum and the Korgialenios History and Folklore Museum. The first one houses interesting archaeological finds from the Mycenean, Hellenistics and roman period: coins, swords, sculptures and ceramics. The second museum is located on the ground floor of the Corgialenian Library. It is a reconstitution of a traditional 19th century Kefalonian house. The visitor will also find there an interesting collection of photographs. The town also has an imposing library consisting of 50.000 books. A little further on from the library, there is a theatre called “Kefalos». It is considered as one of the best theatres of Greece. Fanari (lighthouse) is situated a couple of kilometres from Argostoli. The Lighthouse of St. Theodore was built by the British Governor Napier. It is a small round building with white Dorian style columns which became one of the trademarks of Kefalonia. The nearest beach resort is Sami. It is situated just a few km from the town. It is a popular resort with some beautiful beaches awarded with the Blue Flag, many confortable accommodations, tavernas, bars and shops.