Flatey is the largest of the Western Islands on the Breiđafiord bay. Almost 40 smaller islands belong to Flatey. It has been a trading post since the middle ages. A monastery was established there in 1172. It was the centre of culture and art in the middle of the 19th century. It is one of two islands still occupied the whole year. The church is served from the parsonage at Reykholar. It was built in 1926 and recently renovated and decorated by the artist Baltasar. A part of the island has been a nature reserve and wild life sanctuary since 1975. Various services are rendered to the travellers on the island. It is well worth spending some time there to take in all the places of interest. The ferry Baldur stops over at the island twice a day during summer on its way between Stykkisholmur and the hamlet Brianslaekur.