Originally the area of the district was part of the subdistrict (tambon) Ko Chang, Laem Ngop district. In 1952 the subdistrict Ko Mak was established covering the whole island, at that time subdivided into 4 villages (muban). In 1980 three villages of Ko Mak were split off to create the subdistrict Ko Kut. On April 1, 1990 the government upgraded tambon Ko Kut together with tambon Ko Mak to a minor district (King Amphoe).
Following a decision of the Thai government on May 15, 2007, all of the 81 minor districts were to be upgraded to full districts. With the publishing in the Royal Gazette on August 24 the upgrade became official.
As local government entities the two Tambon administrative organizations (TAO) were created in 2003 and 2004 respectively. The Tambon Council Ko Kut was upgraded to a TAO in 2003, and for Ko Mak in 2004.