Le Lavandou is a seaside resort town, with all the trappings, such as discos and crowds, but also fine sandy beaches right along side. It was a lovely seaside fishing port, built in 1880, destroyed in 1944, and rebuilt after the war. Today it has an active yacht marina, with the nearest section reserved for the fishing boats still plying their trade. A fish market is held there every morning from 8h-11h, unless the weather prevents the boats from going out. Le Lavandou is on the «Corniche des Maures», where the sides of the Massif des Maures mountains join the sea. The area along the coast there is very built-up, but the Maures are directly behind and easy to get to. First record, about 1700: Lauvandoun. This is a variation of Lavadou, a synonym of Lavoir, or of Lavandula stoecha, a very Provencal flower.