This is the capital city of the Lakes Region X, the last city in its longitudinal valley. Puerto Montt was founded in 1853 by Vicente Perez Rosales as part of the policy of settling the area promoted by the government of the time. A year before, the first German immigrants to the country had arrived in the area, and the city, along with Valdivia and Osorno, retains much of their influence. The bay of Puerto Montt extends over the northern part of the Seno de Reloncavi, with a view of the distant Corcovado and Michinmahuida volcanoes. The central business and service section of the city lies around Manuel Irrazabal Square, with a nice view of the sea, and the Cathedral located north of the square. From the square westwards is the John Paul II Museum, which commemorates the visit of His Holiness the Pope in 1987, as well as housing articles from the culture of the indigenous peoples and the German settlers. Further on rise the harbor works and the Handicrafts Fair, where a variety of characteristic articles produced by local artists can be seen and purchased. At the end of the street is the Caleta Angelmo, famous for its fair and traditional restaurants, especially those where every sort of fish and seafood, in particular the local «curanto,» can be sampled. Along the same coast road eastwards of the city is Pelluco Beach, with its beautiful residences, very good restaurants, discotheques, and pubs.